Victoria and District Baseball Association
History 1948 - 2010



The Victoria and District Baseball Association was founded in 1948 and was founded for the purpose of guiding, advising and assisting financially all baseball leagues in the City of Victoria and surrounding districts.

Formally incorporated as a society in 1961, the Association was an effective force behind the success of baseball in the city.

The Association raised funds by an organized Bingo committee together with several raffles. The proceeds were distributed among the membership leagues which included Little League (12 and under), Babe Ruth, Connie Mack, Pony, and the Sr. Amateur League.  As the funds became depleted the member organizations were asked to contribute a small amount back to the association. When this occurred, all Little Leagues on Vancouver Island withdrew from the Association as their constitution forbade the raising of funds by Little Leaguers for any other purpose than Little League.
Henderson Park Home of the Victoria MarinersThe funding of baseball in Victoria and the surrounding districts continued through the operation of a popular weekly bingo at the Victoria Curling Club taking it into the 1990’s. At about the same time the BC government became responsible for the distribution of bingo funds and changes were in the wind for the Association now  required to decentralize park fundraising.  Government licensing was now required and the responsibility for applying for a fundraising license was transferred to the individual leagues. 

The direction of the Victoria & District Baseball Association required change. 

The Red BarnNo longer funding district leagues, Victoria and District Baseball Association became an advisory body taking on broader issues.  The Association hosts organization meetings for all the leagues by providing meeting space.  By so doing the member leagues are guaranteed a venue to run Coaching and Umpire clinics and other indoor training and social activities.

The Victoria and District Baseball Association also wished to recognize its founding fraternity by establishing the Gar Taylor Memorial Bursary 2004.   In this inaugural year the Association at its hosted Annual District Awards Banquet, presented three bursaries to three deserving college students, Adam Splawski ,Matthew Martin  and Erica Grainger 

The Awards Banquet is an annual event where district leagues recognize the efforts of the many volunteers who make it possible for minor baseball to excel in the district.

Marble Plaque outside Bert Richman BuildingThe Bert Richman Building at Lambrick Park, ( The Red Barn) a facility built by the from previous bingo funds is the headquarters for the Association. 

Because of attrition VDBA ceases to function as an Association however maintains contact with the baseball community through its website.
The Association has passed the torch to GVBA. Any contributions to the history of baseball in the Capital region are welcome for VDBA.ca


Baseball Victoria